15 November 2010

Things are great at the MTC

It's been awesome here.  Already I've learned a ton about how to teach.  Learned that we have to teach Doctrine because Elder Bednar gave an awesome talk about "The Answer is the Doctrine" also to follow the Spirit or the lesson will not be successful.

P-day is on Wednesday and is the only day we can write letters/emails.  I'm writing a letter because I'm sending the smallest maple leaf ever seen to you guys.  Maybe an acorn, too. :)  I've never seen a real acorn before!  They have massive oak trees here.  It's only snowed once and it's not really that cold so there are leaves Everywhere!

We went to the Provo temple today; it's right across the street...then we got to do service in the laundry room.  I matched up shoes and saw a size 5!!! SIZE 5!! lady's shoe.  Only one though.  Hopefully there is a matching shoe in that big bucket of shoes. :)  Also saw a size 14.  Only one guy I know with size 14 and he's my roommate.:)  My companion's shorter, Asian, and not terribly mature; name of Elder Max McKean.  Elder Flaherty is about 6'3" and has huge feet and the size 14 feet.  He's Irish, too. :)  He actually has ADD too, but no meds and no diagnosis, so also no training.  So he's a bit fun to be around, but as we all know, that can be tiring as well.  I'm trying to remember my training so I can help him.  Elder Chad Davies is our District Leader; he reminds me a lot of Captain Kirk.  Leader type, witty tongue, a bit headstrong and red red hair.  Same facial structure, too.

Taking lots of pictures.  Awesome mountains here, probably basin/range with volcanic (Basalt) rock origins and a healthy dose of limestone from the old lake Bonneville.  Also learned a very awesome photography trick to make light sabers/energy beams...

Food's decent but not amazing.  Most of it typical BYU cafeteria food or buy-in-bulk food.  Right now I'm eating a hoagie with turkey and swiss cheese.  And cookies-and-cream milk.  Like chocolate, only cookies and cream.  Which is really tasty, actually.  Not too great is the food, but there is plenty.

We've been here a week!  It's actually gone pretty fast.  We taught our first lesson on Friday and it was really lousy.  Our second was better, but not very much.  We practiced street contacting, too.  Then our third lesson was much good.

Met Elder Wasden [our neighbor's son] and have seen another good friend from BYU-I.  Another elder in my district loves to sing almost as much as I do and we harmonize to hymns often.  It's awesome.

Send stories about my ancestors.  Also send food, candy, cookies or any other tasty goodness you can contrive.

Remember that the answer is the doctrine, not principles, not applications, but doctrine.  True doctrine will allow folks to govern themselves.  So teach doctrine.

Love Elder Joshua Brown, servant of the Lord


No comments:

Post a Comment